*** Discovery Farm is closed until further notice ***
Our pet farm or “petting zoo” is basically a group of animals living outdoors in a natural environment. Children can interact with them and feed them, even go into the pen and touch the animals if they let them.
The Discovery farm forms a center that will also be used to offer specialized programs:
- social skill training: children at risk can partake in a specialized program with the animals, whereby the social skill-training and groups-interaction are at focus.
- animal assisted therapy: from a therapeutic perspective, animals are very effective with children. These programs focus on improving social, emotional and/or cognitive functioning.
- work-experience training place: groups that have limited options in finding work, can learn and be trained to work in specific tasks on their level of education. These programs can help dropouts, mentally and/or physically handicapped or youngsters that would like to build up work experience.
- ● animal interaction for the elderly: spending time outdoors in nature with our miniature animals
- educational fieldtrips for schools: topics are for example green energy, farm life, recycling, what is a healthy life style.
- after school activities: the Discovery Farm can become part of special summer camps and other after school and vacation activities, for example for more active kids that have difficulties finding their way in more regular after school/vacation activities.
- Miniature pigs
- Miniature goats
- Horses (of course)
The farm is situated on a side of the park and various sized pens house different animals. Adjacent is a small playground with slides, a seesaw, plastic play castle and almost life-sized plastic wild animals such as a giraffe, gorilla, snake and so on.
We highly recommend the children wear closed, solid sturdy shoes such as old sneakers or boots as the landscape is on an incline and there are many loose rocks and dirt. Slipping is a certainty, the question is when not if.